Coaching is important for developing, sustaining and increasing participation in croquet. Croquet England is committed to a coaching programme that trains and develops excellent coaches who can provide a wide range of coaching to players of all levels throughout the country.
This page tells you how our coaching system works, how you can find a coaching course, how you can become a coach and how you can upgrade your coaching qualification. It also covers Croquet England's special awards and schemes that encourage players and coaches of all ages.
If you are looking for coaching materials, coaching ideas, practice routines, skills tests, jargon busters, or hints and tips on tactics, follow this link to our coaching resources.
Good luck and enjoy your coaching!
John Harris, Chair of the Coaching Committee
Interested in Becoming a Coach?
Here are Five Great Reasons to Do It
- You stay involved with the game you love, the friendships and the fun
- It's a great way to give something back to the community and the sport
- You can inspire new players to the game - perhaps, the next generation of players
- You will develop personally - and so will your game
- Keeps you fit, keeps you thinking, keeps you learning!
Next Steps - Follow These Links for More Information
Become a Coach
- Become a coach or upgrade your coaching qualification
- Framework for Croquet England coaching qualifications
- About Club-Level Coaches
- How to become a Club-Level Coach
- Club-Level Coach Pre-course Study Pack
- About Graded Coaches
- About Examining Coaches
- Coaching Under 18s
- Code of Conduct for Coaches
- About Federation Coaching Officers
- About the Coaching Committee
- Proposal form for Club-Level Coach status
- Proposal form for Graded Coach status
- Proposal form for Examining Coach status
Coaching Schemes, Awards and Resources
- Coaching for young players: Mentoring Scheme and Bursary Scheme
- Coaching for players aspiring to International standard: AC Development Squad and GC Development Squad
- Awards to encourage players developing their skills: Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum Merit Awards
- Awards you can win as a coach: Coach of the Year Award and Lifetime Coaching Award
- Coaching resources to help you in your coaching
- Read details of Croquet England's insurance coverage for Coaches
- Policy for establishing Academies and Centres of Excellence
Interested in trying croquet? Every one of the 220 Croquet Clubs in the country offers taster sessions and coaching for beginners. Find your local club and call them - you can be sure of a warm welcome!
More than 200 accredited Club-Level Coaches are ready to coach beginners and improving players in their clubs throughout the country.
200 qualified Graded Coaches are ready to coach players at all levels of ability - from refreshing and consolidating the basics right on through to international standard. Just ask!
Our 20 Examining Coaches coach the coaches by running initial courses to train new Club-Level Coaches. They also take a lead in developing Graded Coaches and recommending them for appointment.
regional Coaching Officers
Each region of the country has a Federation Coaching Officer who seeks to ensure their region's coaching needs are met. Need some help or advice - give your Federation Coaching Officer a call!
The Merit Awards recognise players developing their skills to ever-higher levels. The scheme covers achievements. in both GC and AC and players may apply for Awards in both.