[<<] [>>] by Robert Fulford
9th June 2003
(AC - Championships)
Lawn 8, Cheltenham: damp medium/slow conditions, tight but forgiving hoops.
Going into the match our head to head record was roughly 12-0 to me. However Pete had played really well in the previous couple of rounds so I though he might give me a bit of a game!
I won the toss and chose to go first.
- U to 5yd NW of 5
- R misses U gently on right from end of A-baulk going 5 yards past
- K hits double target, goes to 4b with diagonal leave
- Y hits 20yd long lift. Goes to 4b peeling U to 2. Makes diagonal spread with K roughly 5 inches SE of the peg. This left K at U or R completely open, with U at K about a 4/5 target. K couldn't be rushed anywhere near 2
- U misses K to 3 yards from R
- R finishes
Pete chose to go first
- U to 2y SW of peg
- R to 4y SE of peg
- K misses R gently on left from in front of 1
- Y hits double. Goes to 1-back with delayed sextuple leave. U was placed after 6 roughly 1yd NW of 1 such that placing K in a normal cross-wired position would have left it a runable hoop. Instead left K 5yds from 1
- K runs 1 gently from 5 yards at 35 degrees. Goes round peeling R through 1 before 5 and then 2 after 1b. Makes a mess of the leave and ends up laying up in C4 with R 3yd in front of 6 and Y 10 yd W of R
- From where it lays R misses Y
- U finishes. End of triple was slightly hairy with Pete having a 3 foot 20 degree straight rover peel. The peel was jawsed, Pete jumped over it and then cannoned it through.
I chose to go first
- U to 6y NW of 5
- R hits U shooting hard. Sends U to half-way between 2 and C2. Goes out 2yd N of C4.
- K misses R by 2 balls on right leaving perfect double.
- Y hits double in the middle (I couldn't tell which ball Pete hit first). Goes to 4b with diagonal spread.
- U misses short lift
- R finishes. Straight rover peel was perhaps longer than Pete would have liked but he peeled it cleanly from 5 feet
Pete won the Southerns in 1997, but this is certainly his best ever tournament. Unfortunately didn't sound like Pete is going to be able to play in the Opens.
Chris Williams adds: According to the data in the CGS it was 15-0 to Robert
Fulford RI v Trimmer PC
1996: 3 0
1997: 0 0
1998: 4 0
1999: 2 0
2000: 2 0
2001: 0 0
2002: 4 0
2003: 0 3
Total: 15 3
Du Pre: Dave Mundy
+26tp -12tp +9tpo
+11tpo +26sxp +17
+16tp +18tp +26tp
+26tp -26tp +7
+16 +26tp +26tp
-11 +25tp +11
+4tp -9tp +20
+6 -11tp +20
+26tp -26tp +26tp