Golf Croquet Inter-Club final to be held at Wrest Park on Saturday
The GC Inter-club final will be at Wrest Park on Saturday 26 September, starting at 10:30. The match is a repeat of the 2008 final, between Surbiton and Ashby. Surbiton won last year to take their tally to three victories. Spectators will need to pay to enter the English Heritage property and gain access to the croquet courts.
- 2009 is the first time that the pair of contestants is the same as in any previous final.
- Both Surbiton and Ashby are appearing in their fourth final since the Championship began in 2000. Blewbury, Hurlingham, Sussex County and Tyneside have each appeared in two finals.
- Surbiton have won each of their previous finals (2005 versus East Dorset, 2006 versus Blewbury & 2008 versus Ashby).
- Ashby have lost each of their previous finals (2004 versus Colchester, 2007 versus Blewbury & 2008 versus Surbiton).
- Surbiton have only ever lost one GC Inter-Club match: in the 2007 semi-final versus Ashby.
- Ashby played in the first year of the Championship but missed the 2001 season. Surbiton did not start playing until 2005. Of 27 clubs who have played, Sussex County and Tyneside are the only clubs to have played every season.
- The scores in the nine finals to date have been 6-1 (three times), 5-2 (once), 4-2 (once), 4-3 (four times).