[<<] [>>] by Tim King
at Wrest Park
(GC - Championships)
For the third year in row, the GC Inter-club Championship final will be at Wrest Park between Surbiton and Ashby. Surbiton has won the previous two encounters; the score last year was 4-3 to Surbiton, who won the deciding third game in two of the four afternoon legs.
The final this year is on Saturday 18 September, starting at 10:30. Spectators will need to pay to enter the English Heritage property and gain access to the croquet courts.
- Both Surbiton and Ashby are appearing in their fifth final since the Championship began in 2000. Blewbury, Hurlingham, Sussex County and Tyneside have each appeared in two finals.
- Surbiton has won each of their previous finals (2005 East Dorset, 2006 Blewbury, 2008 Ashby & 2009 Ashby).
- Ashby has lost each of their previous finals (2004 Colchester, 2007 Blewbury, 2008 Surbiton & 2009 Surbiton).
- Surbiton has only ever lost one GC Inter-Club match: in the 2007 semi-final versus Ashby.
- Ashby played in the first year of the Championship but missed the 2001 season. Surbiton did not start playing until 2005. Of 29 clubs who have played, Sussex County is the only club to have entered every season, after Tyneside failed to enter in 2010 (competing in the new Inter-club Shield instead).
- The scores in the nine finals to date have been 6-1 (three times), 5-2 (once), 4-2 (once), 4-3 (five times).
Further details on Wrest Park Croquet Club.