Preview - GC Inter-Club Final at Cheltenham on Saturday 24 September
Ashby play Surbiton starting at 10:30. As usual, the teams are a closely guarded secret until the players arrive on Saturday morning.
- Ashby are defending Champions, having beaten Surbiton at Cheltenham in 2015.
- Cheltenham is hosting the final for the second time. Eleven other venues have hosted the final, with only the following also hosting more than once: Wrest Park (3 occasions); Nottingham (3); and Letchworth (2).
- Both Surbiton and Ashby are appearing for the ninth time in the final. Ashby's best run of consecutive appearances is six (2007 to 2012). Surbiton's is four (2008 to 2011).
- The next most is only two appearances (five clubs; Dulwich is the most recent club to reach this mark in 2014).
- Ashby and Surbiton face each other for the sixth time in the final; Surbiton lead this battle 3-2.
- Surbiton and Ashby have only played each other once outside the final; Ashby beat Surbiton at Surbiton in the 2007 semi-final.
- Twelve different clubs have appeared in the 16 finals to date.
- Surbiton won five of their first six appearances in finals but have not won since 2011.
- Ashby lost five of their first six finals but have won their past two appearances (2012 and 2015).
- Ashby did not win a tie in the GC Inter-Club until 2004 (losing in the first round in 2000, 2002 and 2003).
- Surbiton did not enter the Inter-Club until 2005.
- So far this season, Surbiton have fielded six players: Harry Fisher (2 appearances), Stephen Mulliner (2), Nick Cheyne (1), Ed Dymock (1), Chris Farthing (1) and Samir Patel (1).
- Both of Surbiton's ties have been at home.
- So far this season, Ashby have fielded seven players: Tim King (3), David Bell (2), Will Gee (2), Rachel Rowe (2), Christine Mounfield (1), Ray Mounfield (1) and Mike O'Brian (1).
- All three of Ashby's ties have been away.
- The players (from all clubs) with most appearances in finals are: Tim King (8), Samir Patel (7), Mike O'Brian (6), Don Beck (6), Will Gee (6), Ray Mounfield (5).
- The players (from all clubs) with most final appearances for a winning team are: Samir Patel (4; 2005, 2008, 2009, 2011), Don Beck (4; 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011), Will Gee (3; 2010, 2012, 2015), Mike O'Brian (3; 2010, 2012, 2015), Tim King (3; 2010, 2012, 2015).
- John Spiers (Blewbury and Surbiton) and Nelson Morrow (Hurlingham and Surbiton) are the only players to have appeared in finals for more than one club.
- John Spiers is the only player to have won with more than one club: Blewbury (2007) and Surbiton (2011) (Nelson Morrow has only won with Hurlingham in 2003).
- Nelson Morrow has the largest gap between successive appearances in the final: 2003 (Hurlingham) and 2013 (Surbiton). He also has the longest gap of 13 years between his first and most recent appearances (2002 to 2015).
Summary of Club Performances in the GC Inter-Club Champhionship
|Wins||Finals||Winning years||Losing years|
|Surbiton||5||8||2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011||2010, 2013, 2015|
|Ashby||3||8||2010, 2012, 2015||2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011|