MacRobertson Shield Day 2: England Trail Australia 4-5
England and Australia shared the spoils on day two of their 5-day test match, so Australia keep the lead they took in yesterday's doubles. It was again bright and sunny, and the wind that had got up overnight died down as the day progressed. It is forecast to get hotter and there is little shade available on courts 5-7 in the middle of the day.
I didn't see any of the matches, which took place on lawns 1-4, as I was refereeing the USA v NZ doubles, but the results, as reported on croquetscores, were:
- Jamie Burch bt Simon Hockey +26tp +26tp
- Stephen Mulliner lost to Robert Fletcher -18tp -5tp
- David Maugham bt Malcolm Fletcher +1tp +26tp
- Samir Patel lost to Ian Dumergue -26tp -26tp
- James Death bt Stephen Forster +16tp -26tp +26tp
- James Hopgood lost to Greg Fletcher +26tp -26tp -25tp
So a very even days play: 7 tps each, and according to croquetscores (I've not checked the arithmetic) the teams are tied on 324 hoops each! However Australia lead by one match and one game going into day 3, which will be doubles:
- Death & Burch v R & M Fletcher
- Mulliner & Patel v Forster & DuMergue
- Maugham & Hopgood v Hockey & G Fletcher
The USA won the first two doubles to finish, to extend their lead to 4-1 over NZ, but there is one still in play.