[<<] [>>] by Beatrice McGlen
28th November 2023
(CqE Official News)
Croquet England is looking to recruit a new Treasurer.
Whilst a knowledge of bookkeeping/accountancy is essential, a formal qualification is not. Experience of working within the charitable sector would be an advantage, as would knowledge of the Sage accountancy platform.
- Weekly - prepare payment run. Answer occasional queries from office staff.
- Monthly - process payroll (HMRC Basic PAYE tools and NEST pension), reconcile bank accounts, on-line shop transactions, subscriptions and tournament entry system payments.
- Quarterly - process VAT return. Prepare monthly internal management accounts.
- Annually - prepare annual accounts and liaise with Independent Examiner, prepare annual budget, process corporation tax return, stock take, renew insurance policies (along with occasional insurance matters that arise during the year).
- When required - manage investments, deal with financial matters that arise through the year.
It is possible that some weekly/monthly tasks could be reallocated to accommodate someone wishing to make a smaller or less regular time commitment.
Attendance at Meetings
Nearly all meetings are held electronically, usually in the evenings or at weekends, with only one or two face to face meetings a year.
- AGM - Once per year
- Board of Trustees - Approx 6 times per year
- Executive - Approx once a month
- Funding Committee - Approx 6 times per year
- Administration Committee - Approx twice a year
The Treasurer plays an important role liaising between the Executive and the Office, attending the office at least once a quarter. Line management of the Operations Manager is currently delegated to the Treasurer and it is likely that this will continue.
Formally the role of Treasurer is set out in the Croquet England Standing Orders and Practice Book.
Standing Order 2.1
The "Secretary" and "Treasurer" in this document are the Secretary of the CIO and Treasurer of the CIO appointed annually by the Board. They are responsible to the CIO through the Board for providing independent leadership and guidance in matters relating to administration and finance respectively, encouraging the highest standards of integrity, effectiveness, and openness, and have a duty to ensure the CIO's regulatory compliance. Specific duties for them may be determined by the Board from time to time and recorded in the Croquet England Practice Book.
Practice Book Extract
The "Treasurer" in this document is the Treasurer of Croquet England, appointed by the Board of Trustees, with the overall responsibility described in Standing Order (SO) 2.1. The Treasurer becomes an ex-officio non-voting member of the Board of Trustees and an ex-officio voting member of the Executive.
The specific duties of the Treasurer relating to the Executive are as follows:
- Attend as a member all the meetings of the Executive.
- Keep the Executive aware of and informed about its financial duties and responsibilities.
- Compile and present regular management accounts to the Executive, including the implications of financial plans and budgets of the Executive's operational committees.
- Advise the Administration Committee on salaries and, in conjunction with the Secretary, terms of employment for staff.
- Provide the Operations Manager and staff with guidance and training on the Croquet England's financial practices as required.
- Monitor the financial activities of the Office, report to the Executive on them and advise on improvements.
- Audit the financial records produced by the Office and ensure that it keeps proper records of all financial transactions for inspection e.g. by the Independent Examiner, the Charity Commission and HM Revenue and Customs.
- Compile and submit returns and any payments owed to HM Revenue and Customs in due time.
- Make salary payments and honoraria and provide statements in due time.
- Operate the workplace pension scheme for Croquet England staff, make the necessary returns, and ensure payment of liabilities.
- Manage Croquet England's financial assets and systems, including investments, bank accounts and the accountancy database. This with the assistance of the Operations Manager.
- Report to the Executive the advice of the Investments Consultative Group on investments and execute investment decisions.
- Advise the Executive on subscriptions and tournament levy rates.
- Assist the Operations Manager in ensuring that Croquet England is properly and adequately insured as directed by Executive.
Remuneration and Time Commitment
This position receives an attractive honorarium.
On the basis outlined above the time commitment required is approximately 50 hours per month. However, as indicated there is some potential flexibility and to a degree it can be tailored to suit an applicant.
It is hoped the successful applicant can start in January and it is anticipated that a managed handover will take place in order that the new Treasurer is fully aware of current practices.
If you require any further information or an informal chat about the role, please contact the current Treasurer, Ian Burridge ian.burridge#croquetengland.org.uk
A Letter of Application and a brief resume should be sent to the Chair of the Board of Trustees, Samir Patel (samir.patel#croquetengland.org.uk) by Sunday 17th December.