Sarah Hayes in play at Cheltenham
Coaching is important for developing, sustaining and increasing participation in croquet. The CA is committed to a coaching programme that trains and develops excellent coaches who can provide a wide range of coaching to players of all levels throughout the country.
This page tells you how our coaching system works, how you can find a coaching course, how you can become a coach or upgrade your coaching qualification. It also covers the CA's special awards and schemes that encourage players and coaches of all ages. Last, but not least, it provides a link to our coaching resources.
Good luck and enjoy your coaching!
Sarah Hayes, Chair of the CA Coaching Committee
Interested in trying croquet? Every one of the 200 Croquet Clubs in the country offers taster sessions and coaching for beginners. Find your local club and call them - you can be sure of a warm welcome!
More than 120 Club-Level Coaches are trained to coach beginners and improving players in their clubs throughout the country.
220 higher-qualified Graded Coaches are ready to coach players at all levels of ability - right up to international standard. Just ask!
Our 20 Examining Coaches coach the coaches by running initial courses to train new Club-Level Coaches and more advanced courses to develop Graded Coaches.
Four Coaching Centres offer a wide range of coaching courses for players of all abilities and in all codes.
Federation Coaching Officers
Each Federation has a Coaching Officer who ensures their region's coaching needs are met. Need some help or advice - give your Federation Coaching Officer a call!
The Merit Awards recognise players developing their skills to ever-higher levels. The scheme is being extended to recognise GC achievements.
Player Performance Awards
Interested in Becoming a Coach?
Here are Five Great Reasons to Do It
- You stay involved with the game you love, the friendships and the fun
- It's a great way to give something back to the community and the sport
- You can inspire new players to the game - perhaps, the next generation of players
- You will develop personally - and so will your game
- Keeps you fit, keeps you thinking, keeps you learning!
Next Steps - Follow These Links for More Information
Find Coaching and Becoming a Coach
- Arrange a taster session at your local club
- Find a coaching course at a Croquet Coaching Centre
- Become a coach or upgrade your coaching qualification
- About Club-Level Coaches
- About Graded Coaches
- About Examining Coaches
- About Federation Coaching Officers
- About the CA Coaching Committee
Coaching Schemes, Awards and Resources
- Coaching for young players: CA Mentoring Scheme and CA Bursary Scheme
- Coaching for players aspiring to International standard: AC Development Squad and GC Development Squad
- Awards to encourage players developing their skills: Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum Merit Awards
- Awards you can win as a coach: Coach of the Year Award and Lifetime Coaching Award
- Coaching resources to help you in your coaching
- Read details of the CA's insurance coverage for Coaches